Sunday, November 6, 2011

BEET BREAD PUDDING

One of my favourite foods of late summer are beets. Besides the traditional preserves of pickled beets and plain canned beets, here is a favourite recipe.

Beet Bread Pudding can be substituted as a stuffing and this year I cooked it as the dressing with a turkey dinner. The colour is wonderful although the picture is a rather poor reflection of that.

Ingredients:
cooked beets
bread, dried
onion
a bit of chicken stock
seasoning: salt, pepper, then it's up to you. In this version I used italian because that is what I had on hand. You could also use basil, savoury, marjoram etc.

I simply combine:
5 - 6 cups torn dry bread
2 cups chopped/diced cooked red beets
1/2 cup diced onion
1 or 2 eggs, slightly beaten
a bit of stock to moisten
seasoning to taste

Just mix it all and put in a greased baking dish (i used a loaf pan this time) and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes

No comments: